Friday, March 2, 2012

Let It Snow! Let It Snow!


After multiple predictions of snow in Jerusalem that didn't quite pan out, I was delighted to wake up this morning to a layer of snow covering our capital city. While snow in the States over the past couple of years usually elicited an obstinate reaction from me (boy was I in a tizzy when the October snow almost derailed our Halloween Party at Paddington Bear Road), I couldn't have been happier to see snow not only on the ground, but still falling from the sky at a decent rate.

Jerusalem gets a "storm" of an inch or two once every three years, so I didn't want to miss my opportunity to see it first-hand. I had my morning coffee, checked the headlines, put on my winter gear and headed out in a hurry. After all, with constantly changing weather conditions I had no idea how much longer the snow would continue to fall. When I got outside, I could hear kids nearby playing in the snow and all the other people I passed on the street had huge smiles on their faces.

I set out towards the Old City, as I hoped to see its walls and of course The Temple Mount and Kotel layered with snow. But just as I hit the middle of Mamilla Mall, the sun started to peak through, and by the time I hit Jaffa gate, it had completely stopped snowing. About 10 minutes later, as I approached the Kotel Plaza, it was bright and sunny as if it hadn't been snowing less than a mile away.

So naturally I was that much happier that I had left my apartment in a hurry after waking up and getting to enjoy the snow.

For more pics of the storm that was, here's a link to the album I posted on Facebook: ow.ly/9plGZ

Wishing everyone a Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment